Saturday, September 26, 2009

God's Presence in the Dark Night

It's Saturday morning and I'm still wrapped in my bathrobe. Really, my favorite time of the week because I can sit quietly, no place to rush off to. Oh, there's plenty to do...get ready for winter projects, housework, all those chores that beg attention. But for this moment, I'll enjoy looking out at the dazzling blue skies, feeling a warm breeze through the open window. I'll soak in every moment of this final "summer" weekend. October is imminent and the weather here usually changes like clockwork. 


In this morning's quiet, I've been reading Deb Watson's incredibly touching book, Kiss Goodbye: The Story of God's Presence in the Dark Night.  I've read her story over several weeks, and each time I pick up her book, I feel as if I've been invited into a sacred and holy place.

I first "met" Deb on Twitter. I was scrolling through the daily tweets and saw one from Deb Watson who reported her excitement about her first book being published. I think because she and I share the same name and I know the feeling of a first book coming off the press, I twittered back to her.

Congratulations, Deb, I wrote. I pray your book will be successful! 

Then the conversation began. Deb answered that her book was about the death of her 19-year-old daughter. I felt the pang that only another mother can understand, even though I have never journeyed to the depths of grief as Deb and her family have. After I watched the book trailer for Kiss Goodbye, I emailed Deb again. She graciously offered to send me a copy of her book which I gratefully accepted.

I knew this would be a difficult read, but I had no idea how Deb's telling of her family's loss of their beautiful daughter and sister, Cathy, would completely draw me in as if I were there with her as a friend. Sitting in the livingroom with them in shock and disbelief the night of the tragic accident, anticipating all the "firsts" of those weeks and months after Cathy's death, or the longing for one friend to call or stop by on that first Christmas Eve without Cathy. And no one did.

Deb pulls aside the curtain of private family suffering and with her real and honest writing style, allows us to glimpse the intensity of raw pain in coming to terms with the loss of someone we dearly love. That she invites us complete strangers into this sacred, intensely personal place, is truly courageous.

In reading Kiss Goodbye, there is no doubt where this courage comes from. Woven through the anguish, is the inspiring message that God is faithful, no matter what our circumstances. We may each know that on different levels, based on our life experiences, but the Watson family's story underscores the truth of God's presence in any dark night, especially in the midst of unimaginable suffering--and that offers much hope and comfort to us other pilgrims on life's journey. For it isn't a matter of if we will ever experience the pain of losing someone we love, but when.  Deb's example gives me courage to believe that with God's grace and the support of loving family and friends, I too, will be able to walk through the valley of the shadow of death and come out on the other side.

Since I received Deb's book, I've had the wonderful privilege of talking with her on the phone. Hearing her voice resonate with compassion for others who are suffering, yet with unmistakable joy in living life as a devoted follower of Christ, is more solid evidence that the Lord does indeed use all things for good, even the most heartbreaking and hard to understand circumstances, for those who love him and are called according to his purpose.

Thank you, Deb, for your sharing your story and your friendship!



   

No comments: