Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Blogger 101

Hi! This is my first attempt at blogging--well, I actually tried the other day, and my "post"got lost somewhere in the blogosphere. So, I'm back again, undaunted, though very technologically challenged. Thanks for bearing with me!

I chose One Step Further for my blog because a number of years ago, I attended a support group by that name. One Step Further became a lifeline of hope for me and about a half dozen other women who were struggling with our spouse's alcoholism or drug addiction. We cried together, prayed for each other, and even managed to find humor in our situations. But most of all, we encouraged one another--to take the next step toward our own healing and recovery, and that often had a lifechanging effect on our families.

I'm so thankful for small groups like this--and larger ones such as A.A. and Al-Anon. No matter what difficult situations we may face, it is always comforting to know you're not alone. A friend at Al-Anon once told me that faith is walking to the very edge of what you know, then taking one more step. One step further!

My husband Randy and I will celebrate 36 years of marriage this summer. What an amazing miracle of God's grace! Randy found sobriety and freedom from alcoholism almost 8 years ago. At times, it has been a long, painful journey, but so worth all the heartache to find a measure of healing and wholeness. I've had the incredible privilege of co-authoring a book, Because I Said Forever: Embracing Hope in a Not-So-Perfect Marriage. (More info. on my website, www.debkalmbach.com) I wanted to talk about the real struggles in marriage, especially when dealing with an addiction. No 10 point plans for marital bliss! I am definitely an "expert" in the not-so-perfect department.

I hope I can offer some encouragement and hope for the journey, no matter where you're coming from. I'd love to hear from any of you who are also taking those small steps forward to becoming the uniquely gifted person God created you to be.

I found comfort in believing--"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms." (Deuteronomy 33:27)

Blessings,

Deb

No comments: